Friday, May 25, 2012


I was tearing while watching several routines from so you think you can dance (all the older seasons), and was wondering why I could relate to sadness so much more. The tears just welled up and I couldn't figure out why. So I found a response to someone who asked "why do my eyes well up with tears when I hear something moving?", which I could relate to:

" Same exact thing happened to me, and I was astounded. I was the type of person who *never* cried. And then, presto, as I got closer to 30, suddenly I was welling up to everything you said, including sports stories. 


I asked my mama if she experienced the same thing, and she said, yes, it's quite natural. It's called maturity. As you get older, you begin to be moved more by the beautiful, the poetic, the overwhelming odds, love, anything that overcomes your sense of cynicism about the human condition. You begin to understand loss. You begin to realize that life isn't going to last forever, that people do die, that most people out there have loved ones and love in return. You realize how awful it is when people don't have loved ones. You begin to grasp what your parents - and other parents - have gone through with their children, and you grasp the horribleness when people haven't experienced that with their own children or have it cruelly yanked away. You understand you aren't immortal, and even more excruciatingly, the people you love aren't either. You understand that there is famine and war, and the consequences of each. You become more moved when someone demonstrates those traits of the human condition you so desperately want to believe in. 


In short, you start to understand how hard life is, and how hard it is to be human, and you are moved when someone overcomes it, and you are moved when someone doesn't. In short, you come out of that time of life called your teens and early twenties, and understand that the world isn't about you.


Anyway, that's what my Mama said. God, I love her."

-

And back to so you think you can dance, routines, or the arts in general. I like how the dances add depth to the songs. The interpretations the choreographers have made of the songs change my interpretation of the song. Every time I listen to them, the stories, the ones that the routines add life to, surface. I like how everyone has different interpretations of things which adds so much colour to any song, and once in a while someone would tell a touching story where many are able to relate to. I particularly liked Kayla and Kupono's routine with Sara Bareille's "gravity" for example. I have written everything elsewhere.

-

Now playing: Sara Bareilles' albums


No comments: